- A helicopter
- A house in the middle of some woods
- A barge/narrow boat
- Chickens
- Dogs
Not really practical, or even attainable things. But no matter how much they teased me, I was always determined to prove them wrong.
As I get older, I'm starting to realise why they were laughing at me. Helicopters cost thousands of pounds, to buy, house and maintain. Without a job as CEO of a major company, it ain't going to happen.
When I was in my 20's, although I still hankered after the helicopter and the spooky house in the middle of the woods, my fantasy life became a bit more realistic:
- Dinner parties & brunches with friends
- Dogs
- Chickens
- Holidays to America
- Doing a ranch holiday
None of those happened until I was 28, and that was a trip to New York that I paid for with the profits of the house sale from splitting up with my ex. I took my 3 best friends for a long weekend. After that, Hubby took me to Florida for our honeymoon.
I think I had about 2 dinner parties all the time I was with my ex, and certainly no brunches as I imagined them.
Now, my fantasy life is probably just as unrealistic and never going to happen, but the dreams keep me going. When I was younger I used to make things happen, and my main frustration now is that I don't know HOW to make things happen so that I can have my fantasy life.
This is my current wishlist:
- I want to live in Stars Hollow - okay, so it's not real, but a small town in New England with a diner and town square where they have festivals etc. I'd even settle for a small village in Old England with a real sense of community.
- I want a couple of dogs, one of which will be a Boston Terrier, name to be decided, but possibly Webster.
- I want to own and run a bakery/gift/home accessories shop that makes enough money for us to be able to afford to live as above. This dream could happen, at least, it could if we suddenly stumbled upon £100k and didn't have to worry about making a profit.
As I said, I'm just not sure how to make this happen. However, I do know that if we can achieve the first one, then the third will follow, and then the second. I just don't know how to get to that first stage.
My plan at the moment, given that our business venture is temporarily on hold, is to do the trade shows early next year and this time find suppliers who WILL supply internet only companies - they are out there, as there are already a number of competitors on the internet.
From there, if we can make enough profit from an online business while having a full time day job, we might just make those dreams happen.
It might be a little later on in life than planned, but on the plus side, we stll have (hopefully) many years ahead of us to get the other pieces of the dream.
In other news, I ran another 7k last night, so that's 19k this week, three nights in a row.
Still frightened about the weekend, but going to try and plan plan plan so that there aren't too many upsets. In the meantime I am going to send Hubby a list of things he needs to pack for the weekend, with maybe a few red herrings thrown in for good measure!
1 comment:
I think dreams are what keep all of us going...through the humdrum trials of real life.
And it's about adjustment and compromise as well...so, maybe you can't OWN a helicopter...but that doesn't mean you can't ride in one. I wouldn't give up on anything...if you want it bad enough, you can make it happen.
Post a Comment