Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Asking for professional help

So, I booked in last week to go and see the doctor and get a blood test ordered, given the lack of Alli side effects, I had reached the conclusion that my body doesn't process fat the same way as maybe other people's does.

Also, bearing in mind SeattleRunnergirl's HCG Protocol comments, I thought I should perhaps ask a Doctor for help.

My heart sank as I realised I was due to see the doctor in our surgery that I think is completely ineffectual. He was the one who prescribed me loads of antibiotics and other stuff when I had my excema last year... I didn't take any of his recommendations and it cleared up on its own.

He's also the doctor, who a few weeks ago wouldn't prescribe me Orlistat as I wasn't obese, just overweight.

So - I went in and I explained that I had been taking over the counter Alli for 4 weeks and had suffered no side effects, even though I knew there were occasions where I had eaten over my allowances. I also said that I had lost no weight while being on Alli - and these two things made me think that maybe I should get tested.

He said that he didn't think a blood test would show anything as he didn't believe I had an underactive thyroid. I explained that a previous doctor a couple of years ago had suggested a blood test, but I had turned it down, so now, as a last resort, I wanted to have one done.

I was crying by this point. He said that some people are just genetically programmed to be overweight. He asked if I did any exercise and I told him I ran 20k-30k a week. I told him I usually ate 1,300 calories a day and less than 10g of fat per meal, except at weekends when I might have a meal out but I try to make sensible food choices, and I'm still not losing weight.

He asked me why I wanted to lose weight. I told him I wanted to wear nice clothes, not just ones that fitted. I told him that I wanted to wear skirts in the summer without having to wear these stupid tight/short things so that my legs don't rub together. Why does anyone who's overweight want to lose weight?! So that we're not overweight!!!

Anyway. the upside is that he has signed a piece of paper to let me have a blood test (although it was me that suggested ticking the box for testing for glucose and lipids rather than just thyroid activity).

He has also written me a prescription for Orlistat - he thinks that maybe the full strength version will have side effects and may work. The thing is - for a doctor, he didn't even really know what Alli was!! Shouldn't doctors know that sort of stuff?

He has said that if the tests come back negative then if I want he will refer me to an endocrinologist.

It doesn't inspire me with a great sense of trust that my doctor actually knows what he is doing....

I mentioned the HCG Protocol and he said he'd never heard of it!

2 comments:

SeattleRunnerGirl said...

A lot of doctors are unfamiliar with HCG. you might have more luck with a naturopathic doctor - do you have one locally? Good luck on the blood test!

Runnergirl said...

I don't think we even have those in the UK - nutritionists, good ones, are expensive and hard to come by... I paid one before and she wouldn't even put together any menu plans/eating guides or even any information for me - I ended up doing it all myself and never seeing her again!