Monday, May 24, 2010

Weather report

We Brits love to complain about the weather - usually because it's too cold, or wet, or windy etc. This weekend has been simply glorious and I refuse to complain because it is sooo nice to have proper Summer weather for a weekend.

However, our office decides (and quite rightly) to turn the aircon off over the weekend. The problem is that they don't turn it back on in time to cool the building for Monday morning, and something seems to happen in that when it does come back on it is the most pathetic stream of warm air I'm not sure the office ever gets cold enough.

This is usually my dilemna during the Summer as well - it's hot outside, but the office is freezing - so what do I wear? Well I tend to stick with the same all year round working wardrobe - trouser suits, long sleeved shirt, knitted tank top. This would be fine - except for the days when the aircon is playing up and now I am stifling.

However, I have meetings in our meeting rooms today - and they are always cold (the doors are kept locked, so the cold air stays in the room).

I just wish that there was some way that individuals could keep themselves at the temperature that suits them best, whereever they are. That way, I wouldn't be cold while everyone else was fine....

But I'm not complaining about the weather - it was so nice to sit and chill in our back garden, sipping Pimms and reading a book - it's such a rarity for us to be able to do that on a weekend.

We had friends over on Sunday, and I cooked Nigella's shredded pork and ciabatta rolls and the watermelon, feta and olive salad recipe from her Forever Summer book. I also did a tomato salad and a green salad, and it all went down very well. Dessert was fruit salad and light vanilla ice cream.

And now, back in the office on Monday morning (I didn't leave on Friday til past half 7 in the evening), I am wishing that Hubby and I were sat by a lake in the Adirondacks, picniccing and reading books with our backs against a tree and legs dangling in the water to cool us off. This was how we spent part of our Summer in 2008 and with the warmer weather here, I am transported back.

I really wish we didn't have to work.

1 comment:

kathryn said...

I hear you, sweetie. It would truly be great if we didn't have to do the whole "work" scene...

Why don't you dress in layers to combat the fluctuating temps? A sleeveless top under a cardigan or a suit jacket? If you lived closer, I'd lend you our teeny little space heater...you could keep it under your desk for those times when you're freezing...

Keep visualizing those legs dangling in the lake water...it sounds heavenly!