So. Today I went to see the Doctor. I finally caved and decided to ask for help because I'm clearly not being able to nail this weight loss thing on my own.
And the experience again proves my point about why bother asking doctors anything about minor ailments etc.
He asked me what I thought I needed to help me lose weight. Excuse me, aren't you the one who is supposed to recommend something?
I came right out and asked about Orlistat - I said that while I didn't eat a load of fat in my diet anyway, I thought that being on Orlistat might help keep me on the straight and narrow at weekends and the icky side effects might help me resist temptation.
He weighed me and said that although I am overweight (13st on his scales), I am not obese and don't have high blood pressure, so therefore he can't prescribe it for me. Which is fair enough, I thought it was a long shot, but he didn't really have anything else to say.
He half heartedly suggested a dietician, but I pointed out that I've been doing WW for 12 years pretty much and I know how to eat healthily and that it's merely the weekends of socialising that scupper me.
I kept saying that I just didn't know what else to try, I didn't know why it seemed so hard for me to lose weight even though I'm running regularly and watch what I eat for 5 days out of 7, but he seemed at as much of a loss as I am.
Useless.
So, I guess the only options are to keep doing WW (although I am taking a break from classes at the mo) or go and eat until I am obese and can actually get some help from our health service. What the f*ck do I pay taxes for?
In other news, and more positively - I've managed to stay the same for the 3rd week in a row, despite a meal out on Wednesday night that involved duck and a rather delicious sticky toffee pudding.
I'm basically going to have to start hating food if this is ever going to work, aren't I?
5 comments:
I don't think you have to start hating food - you have to figure out how to quit overdoing it on the weekends. That's not necessarily easy, but it IS doable. Have you considered going to a counselor to help you talk through why you overeat at the weekend? Perhaps if you can wrap your brain around the WHY, you can figure out how to limit that behavior.
Anyhow, sorry to hear your doc wasn't much help - I'd suggest going to another one (maybe a woman) to get better advice!
Have tried Hypnoanalysis and CBT - turns out I'm just greedy. There's no sinister reason as to why I can't exercise a little willpower, I just love the taste of food, and for me, eating out or in with friends is my way of relaxing and socialising.
I'm really interested by your story runnergirl. What's the 'I'm just greedy' thing all about? If there's no reason you CANT exercise a little willpower, why aren't you? there must be a reason....I really look forward to following your journey!
Lizzie
Laziness really. The fact there have been some weeks when I've been so good and strong in the face of temptation and then not seen any results. The fact that I love food, I love cooking, I love eating, I love the flavours. But just one is never enough. Greed. I don't know how to curb a non-hunger based appetite.
LOVING your honesty! Interesting though that you say you've had cbt - my work with clients focuses on exactly what you describe - non hunger based appetite.cbt works great with this behaviour! It's worked for me and for people i work with - the fact that you've identified it is a big deal. I really really wish you well with your weight loss! x
Post a Comment