Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Inspired

I just discovered a very thought provoking blog post here.

While I was writing a comment, I suddenly made the connection that one of the reasons that I block out the voices in my head that tell me I shouldn't have just gone and bought and eaten a bag of Skinny Chocolate Popcorn from Pret is because they are my parents' voices and by ignoring them and eating what I want somewhere inside me I genuinely believe that I am sticking two fingers up at them and their constant nagging about my weight throughout my childhood.

Unfortunately, of course, this is completely pointless, because I'm not really sticking two fingers up at them by being fat and overweight, I am only screwing myself over.

Funny, isn't it? I've spent hundreds of pounds on hypnoanalysis, Cognitive Behavioural Therapy, Fitness Instructors and Nutritionists over the past few years...to come to this realisation through commenting on someone else's blog.

What a waste. But, actually, it would be even more of a waste if I don't take this knowledge and use it constructively.

Say it with me now:

"By overeating, I am not rebelling against my parents' control over my food, I am only stopping myself from being the person that I want to be".

Wow.

4 comments:

Lonicera said...

That was a very nice message you left on my blog, thank you. When I say I don't like gym, what I mean is I went for three months, got fed up that it made little difference to my weight, then stopped going but carried on paying the sub by direct debit - so they're my favourite charity, as it were. I keep telling myself I'll go back, but swimming is all I can manage. I'm sure you'll reach your 2010 km and pass it - probably be 2010 miles by the time you've finished... and well done, lots of luck to you!
I've enjoyed reading your family saga of a few weeks ago, and feel quite worn out just imagining myself in a situation like that...
Caroline

Runnergirl said...

I've run 355k so far, and we're already 5 months into the year...and Hubby has run only about 50k so it's not looking good!Thank you for the encouragement and faith though!

Anonymous said...

Hey RG!!

Ok a few things I do for lunch...let me first say...I think a big difference is that first I ALWAYS have steel cut oats with natural PB for brekkie. This really keeps me full. I used to have really low point lunches, but I've since switched to higher point ones and it seems to keep me full all day...plus I don't really need snacks anymore so the points even out. I usually have a salad with some kind of fish....I have Hummus EVERYDAY with crackers. I've talked about the crackers on my blog. I also am eating a lot of avocado lately...sometimes half of one. It's all good fat, so I'm not worried about eating too much. I try to add a few things to spruce up the salad...olives, alfalfa sprouts etc. Recently I also started buying bean salad and it is DELISH...and so filling. Try that out and see how you feel!
:)

Runnergirl said...

Thanks for the tips - I'll have to avoid the fish, but will try varying the vegetation and protein like you suggest. I have a big bowl of porridge every morning with skim milk, no sweetners or anything but still get hungry at 10:00 or so! I try really hard not to snack in between meals as well - for me, it's a bad habit to get into.
Think I'll go to the store on Sunday and really try and plan my week out like you do. Thanks!