Wednesday, May 12, 2010

The Ups and Downs of May

This month so far has been an odd one.

The Ups:
  • My niece and nephew's birthday party - the cakes I made were a triumph.
  • Free nail polish at work (Boots and Diet Coke offer - buy 2x500ml bottles of Diet Coke and get a free Nails Inc polish in one of 4 colours - we got all 4 free on our desks, so most of the girls spent yesterday afternoon painting our nails in all 4 colours!).
  • Workload - I have been trying to get myself organised and feel like I'm actually getting back in control of things. A few more days like this and I'll be all sorted I think.
  • Cinema - after our back to back on Sunday, I've decided to do a chick flick back to back on Friday when Nick is away - going to see The Back Up Plan and Dear John.
  • Weekends with friends - I have 3 of my uni friends coming to stay at the weekend, one of them is bringing her two little boys, so there shall be much catching up and entertaining of small children.
  • Haircuts - having realised that it's been 14 weeks since my last one, I have booked myself in for Friday lunchtime.
  • Cupcakes - sold all but one, admittedly ate 3 myself, oh well.
  • Clearing out - Hubby has boarded more of the upstairs loft, and we have been clearing out a load of stuff from the dumping ground that was our study. We still have a few appliances that could go up there, and there is a load of filing to be done and just stuff to sort out in there, but it's a good start.
  • Gym - because I'm going out for dinner tonight, I am going to make sure I go to the gym tonight and tomorrow night, and then a run outside on Saturday morning. Actually, that could be a Down...

The Downs:

  • Dining out - Got an email yesterday that one of our favourite restaurants for celebrating birthdays etc. which does great food and is within walking distance of home is closing. They're refurbishing and rebranding as a younger focused pub style place. We're just hoping that they keep the same chef team and menus. It's a real shame, as the place was a real draw for affluent people to the area, and I suspect they will lose a few regulars as they got lots of older couples and groups, as well as big family parties and ladies who lunch. We're going out for one last meal there tonight, and I will be having their legendary Sticky Toffee Pudding.
  • Cold - I had to scrape ice off my car again this morning, and have ditched the Summer sandals in favour of boots and socks again. Which reminds me, I need to get a pair of mine reheeled.
  • Hayfever - I was going to put this in the Ups bit as I don't seem to have suffered at all so far this year (yet), but in the last 5 minutes my eyes have been itching and I've sneezed a few times. I'm hoping I'm wrong because usually I get really bad hayfever and the only thing that helps is Zirtek and that makes me even sleepier than I am normally!
  • Bad role models - Marie Claire had a feature this month on how some writers have learnt to love their bodies. Their first example is Lionel Shriver who writes about how she used to fast for up to 21 days and exercise religiously (in my book, that's anorexia). She then goes onto say that she would never do that again, but now finds that she keeps herself in shape by eating just one meal a day and exercising every day - that's not really a very healthy way of living in my book.

Anyhoo - that's all for today, I think. Feeling a bit more positive in general, so hoping I've shaken off the bad mood.

No comments: