Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Things

I realised yesterday that I was in danger of slipping back into my once a week to the gym habit that I seem to have acquired last year. Funny how it takes ages to get into the habit of going 3 times a week, but to drop back and hardly go at all seems so fast.

Anyway, I went to the gym after quite a productive day of doing what I love at work - data analysis and presentation building. And I managed 5k interval training, without stitch and although the fast bursts were hard work (4 mins at 11.5kph, resting at 10kph for 4 mins), I pushed on to 6k. And when I got there, I figured it would only be one more fast burst to take me up to 7k. So I did.

Furthest I've ever done on interval training, so woo yeah me! Going again tonight, might not run but do some bike and cross trainer instead.

When I got home, the first thing I did was admire our new fireplace and snap a photo to send Hubby who was out on a wine tasting shindig.

It is a thing of beauty and wonder and I am so glad we decided to do it...


It goes perfectly with the colour on the wall, and the hearth is gorgeous.

However, it has quickly become evident that our thoughts of just putting the furniture back as it was to tide us over until we got a new flat screen t.v. to hang on the wall was unrealistic. I put the sofa back where it was, but because of the hearth, it won't go as close in as before and we now can't open the door very wide to actually get into the sitting room. So I've had to leave the sofa half across the fireplace, leaving a very odd space in the middle of the room until we get the t.v.

Tonight or this weekend we are going to try rehanging the door so it opens the other way - something we were going to do anyway, but that might mean that we can then put the sofa back against the wall. We don't want to get the new tv just yet, because a] we haven't got the money yet, and b] Hubby gets a discount in his new job in a couple of months' time.

Apart from vacuuming up the dust and rearranging furniture, I also emptied all the bins and got those out, and then made myself dinner. A douple portion so I have enough for lunch today:

60g pasta (per portion)
Broccoli
Green Beans
Shallots and Garlic
Mushrooms
Sprinkling of low fat grated cheddar

I worked out that this is about 15g of fat (9g from the 2tsps oil I used to saute the shallots, garlic and mushrooms in!!)

I also worked out that, dinner aside, Brekkie and Lunch account for 650 calories - which means that I'm supposed to have 1,000 left for my evening meal. There is no way I will eat that!

Which makes me realise that a "normal" weekday diet for me would usually be around 1,200 calories and about 20g of fat for the whole day. Which means that I must be eating a HELL of a lot on weekends if I'm not losing weight and I'm exercising.

Which is where the Alli comes in. If I take that, then hopefully I can discipline myself into thinking more carefully about my weekend eating and even it out so it's more comparable with my weekday eating.

My one concern is that the instructions say not to take Alli if you have little or no fat in a meal - most of my meals contain very little (breakfast had about 5g of fat), so will it make any difference or should I be eating more fat for it to make a difference? I'm not really sure. I think I need to find a forum...

3 comments:

SeattleRunnerGirl said...

Have you ever considered the possibility that you are not eating ENOUGH calories to lose weight? If you are consistently eating 1200 calories/day during the week, you would have to consume thousands and thousands of calories on the weekend to end up maintaining your weight. On the other hand, your body may be so used to a very low calorie intake that it is holding on to every ounce of fat for fear of "starvation."

It's just a thought, but if you're open to an experiment, I would love to see you try eating 1,500 calories/day during the week, including plenty of veggies, lean meat, whole grains, and healthy fats (20g is not enough!), and give yourself 2,000/day on the weekends.

That in combination with 3 workouts/week should be a level at which you lose weight. If not, I'd consider getting checked out by a doctor to see if there are other issues going on.

Oh, and if you decide to give this a go, commit to giving it 3-4 weeks. You may see a small gain after the first few days as your body adjusts to the additional calories, but it should go back down and then some after 2-3 weeks.

kathryn said...

I think SeattleRunnerGirl brings up some valid points, sweetie. I know for a fact that my body is in that "starvation mode" when it comes to an evening meal. I eat my big meal at lunchtime...have forever. Now, if I eat dinner out, I always gain weight.

I'd definitely find a forum for Alli...I'm sure they'll have tons of info...

Runnergirl said...

I think there's a lot to be said for that - I've been doing points for so long that it's taking me a big jump to get used to counting calories. You're right though, I know my body does get used to not eating enough during the week and then when I do eat more on the weekends it holds on to everything - part of the reason I tried to get a nutritionist's help a couple of years ago but she was pretty young and inexperienced and refused to give me an eating plan and would just suggest nuts and goji berries! This is also why I'm trying Alli as I reckon it'll get me better at eating more evenly throughout the week. I need to get organised!