I have to admit that I am in awe of some of the bloggers I read. They have a talent for wit, creative writing, imagination, conjuring up images in perfect clarity with their words.
I have no such talents. Seriously, I don't. I write as I think. I don't have the patience needed to craft a blog and revisit it until it is finely shaped and crafted.
I also have no aspirations - there are plenty of talented writers out there who I very much enjoy reading, and I'm not going to take away from their talents by even trying to emulate them.
I also have to admit that I really don't have a great sense of humour. That's not to say I don't appreciate a quick wit and a good joke, because I really do - a lot of people crack me up completely, and there is nothing quite like a good giggle to lift one's spirits. However, I am not usually the one cracking the jokes.
I am, however, usually the butt of the jokes, at least where my friends are concerned. That's the way it has always been.
But you know, once in a while you meet someone who you connect with, with whom you suddenly find yourself as comedienne extraordinaire without even trying.
This has happened to me once. His name was Arnaud. He was French. I was in a long term relationship, but he was my office flirtation. We really clicked, we had great banter. My best office buddy even commented that she thought he fancied me... and I considered breaking up a 4 year relationship to see where it would go.
As fate would have it, he left the company and I missed him like crazy. Then my then boyfriend decided he was too young for marriage and dinner parties and we broke up. I looked Arnaud up. He was in a relationship.
It never happened, and for a while I wondered what if?
But fate intervened again, and I met my now-husband. Who cracks me up constantly. He's clever, he's witty. He loves puns and play on words, and gets on great with my father who has a similar sense of humour. I feel slightly out of my depth though, because I'm not as witty as he is. Occasionally I crack him up, but that's more through stupidity or self deprecation rather than any well crafted witticism. Luckily he loves me as I am. He would say I'm funny. I would say I have the odd flashes of genius wit, but they are few and far between.
Is wit something someone can learn? I'm not sure. Now, instead, we have shared experiences about which to joke, we have our own wit and laughter that others don't get. It wraps me up safe in our togetherness and protects me from my insecurities about my own comedic abilities.
In the meantime I shall revel in my fellow bloggers' talents, and occasionally I hope you don't mind if I borrow a joke here and there...
4 comments:
You are quite welcome to borrow some of mine...if I can do the same with your blogs!
Keep writing!
Big hugs!
I would have to disagree - I think you write really well!
x
Keep on writing! I look at things I wrote even a year ago and cringe. The way I try to improve is by reading a lot and learning what kind of phrasing/story telling etc I like to read, and then I do it that way.
:)
~J
Aw...you have a wonderful writing style! I'm just sorry I don't have more time to stay and visit more often!
Just because YOU don't think you're witty doesn't mean you're NOT. Besides...you two are supposed to compliment each other, that's the whole idea. I'll bet you're just harder on yourself than you need to be. You just be yourself!
Post a Comment