One of my very best friends is not very happy. She has a great life on the surface - she has a good job, a loving if slightly stressful family, a gorgeous flat and a great social network in her city.
However, she's also very lonely. She's been single for the past 6 years. And not for lack of trying. She's done online dating, blind dating, speed dating, joined local social clubs, taken courses, joined sports clubs, she's been travelling solo. There aren't any single guys left in her immediate circle of friends, and she's trying to widen that.
She's had a few dates, and some short lived liaisons. One guy she liked recently, then walked her back to her flat, they talked for a couple of hours, they made out... and then as he left he said "If you ever fancy a booty call..." Seriously?!
She's baffled. I'm baffled.
So - come on chaps and girls, put your thinking caps on - what other ways can she try to meet people?
She's a good catch - she's pretty, she's clever, she's funny, she has her own flat, teeth and hair...
She can be quite reserved, but only in that she wants to get to know someone before she opens up completely - understandably after recent experiences...
Any ideas welcomed (sensible ones!). Please help as I can't think of anything that she hasn't already tried!
8 comments:
I joined E-Pals earlier this year, and I found it a great way of getting to chat to new people here in England. One guy I have been writing to everyday, lives in Wales, but he is regularly near by. We haven't actually met up yet, but after five months of writing, I reckon that we should meet up very soon! We share the same sense of humour, and enjoy the same things. I have met some real weirdos, but the beauty of this, is that I don't have to answer the ones that are boring! I've put a few of my friends onto this site, and it works out pretty well. Maybe she should give this a go.
I've not heard of this site, but I will take a look and pass the suggestion on - thanks!
Just noticed - it's for school children only! Although we do look young for our age, I don't think they'd let her sign up at 33!!
Thanks though!
I'm imagining her joining a group of some sort....something to do with a hobby. Perhaps adult education class? A pottery class? That sort of thing. Something where she'll meet other guys who have similar interests?
Still has her teeth and hair...Funny. Sorry. I can't help, I have been single forever. I also do not have any time to date. I have 2 young children a teenage nephew I am trying to raise and I work and go to school. Maybe a puppy??? That is what I did when I got lonely. But he is now 2 and I am getting bored and lonely again. I have been no help have I???
Hi Kathryn - she's done a load of courses, wine tasting, cooking, language etc. but most of the fellow students are girls!
Hi Christijolou - unfortunately she lives in a flat, so can't have pets. She'd love a cat though. The thing is, she's only 33, she wants to get married and have a family and starting to feel like time is running out for her, so it's not just about being lonely.
I spent or misspent my youth in a single sex grammar school. All the teachers were male. When their wives got lonely or hacked-off or whatever, they (the wives) joined car maintenance classes at the local tech college. No, SERIOUSLY! Would I kid you, ladies? My English teacher's wife could strip and engine faster than he could parse a Shakespeare sonnet.
Most car maintenance nerds are boy-men. And their overalls lend a certain je ne sais quoi.
Or could your friend take up running. Some events have tens of thousands of folk to chat to as you pound along . . .
She did join a running club, but had to give it up as work commitments got in the way.
Post a Comment