Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Getting there... and starting to notice it

I'm starting to get down to the sort of weight that I was a long time ago - I thought it was only a few months, but it's been a long time since I've been going to the gym regularly and building up any kind of fitness.

I'm starting to notice it too. Yesterday my suit trousers felt decidedly looser than previously, even though my weight was the same, it does feel like I'm starting to tone up a bit.

Last night I managed a 5 mile run on the treadmill, which I was really pleased with as it's edging closer to my 6 mile target. Once I can do 6 miles, it's not far to 8 and then 10 etc. so I feel like I'm starting to break the back of it.

Admittedly I'm not doing any proper long distance training programme. I am just setting the machine to 6 mph and running for as long as I can and setting myself a goal. If I can get to 8 miles before Christmas, then I think I'll be fit enough for some half marathons in the first half of next year.

Guess I'd better enter some!

Worryingly though, I was reading Skinny Me's blog - she has invested in a HRM and was pointing out that the gym machines estimation of calories burnt can be significantly way off. Although I don't rely on the machines to tell me calories burnt so that I can adjust my diet, I do worry that the feel good feeling I get from burning 600 calories is misleading as I am maybe not doing enough to make up for any weekend excesses.

I am thinking about asking for an HRM for Christmas now! It's something I've considered in the past, but figured the machines would do it for me - now I'm not so sure.

Anyway, I am pleased with last night's run, and although I still hate running and exercise, I am pleased that I am starting to remember how much better I feel when I am fitter. I feel stronger, and that is giving me more will power and motivation than anything else.

Yesterday I sat with Millionaire's Shortbread on my desk for a whole day and wasn't even tempted. And it used to be my favourite thing. The weekly bake sale is definitely giving me will power I didn't think I had, or had at least forgotten I had.

It's all good.

174lb by Thursday. 168lb by the time we go to New York. I CAN do this.

1 comment:

kathryn said...

Oh, good for you! I'm so glad to hear you're seeing a difference in how your clothes fit! That is great news!

I think your running is fantastic! Even though you hate it, you're still doing it and it's working!

And think of all the walking you'll be doing in Manhattan!