Thursday, July 1, 2010

Getting to know me...

We have a few work dos coming up over the next few weeks, it being the half year and all that.

Tomorrow we have a Marketing Triathlon, not just us, but a properly organised competition. I am only doing a 2.5k run, not a lot, but we're not allowed to listen to music on the way around (sooo glad I'm not doing the 7.5k!!). I am dreading it now, because I have a nasty feeling that I am going to come last, and that would be pure humiliation.

I know someone has to come last, but I would really rather it wasn't me. I'm not a fast runner, and I'm a big girl, and I don't want to draw attention to myself by coming last. I'm not sure why it would be different if a skinny girl came last, but I am so tired of losing to skinny girls and failing at being a slimmer girl.

Next week, our boss has warned us we're going to get muddy. My worst fear is an assault course. I don't think she would, because one of the chaps on our team is quite overweight but she's really active and I suspect she might have booked that and have asked him to just take photos (which would be THE WORST - photos of me failing to haul my fat arse over an obstacle!)

Before that, we have to prepare a few slides to talk about ourselves - we all know each other pretty well but now, but we are a relatively new team.

Interestingly the only dislike I have that I am actually willing to share is that I dislike running. Everything else is too personal and raw.

The irony is that the things I like doing, like cooking, baking, eating out etc. I can only do because I do the one thing I dislike....

I don't think I will ever enjoy exercise. I don't seem to get those endorphins that everyone else talks about. Yes, I get a vague sense of achievement for a brief while, but never the exercise rush that everyone seems to get.

It has been suggested that I do more weight-based exercise to build muscle and therefore metabolic rate. I shall start doing that, although I find the weights room intimidating and tend to stick to the machines.

I'd like to be able to lift my own body weight, like a roman chair type thing, or even a chin up, but I've never been able to do that.

3 comments:

Lizzie said...

dude seriously! If you hate running that much, don't do it! Find soommat else! Also with your mileage you should be losing at a rate of knots! I reckon (because i was the same) that you're probs not challenging your bod enough! have you thought about seeing a pt for a bit?? That'd help LOADS with weights and getting to know your way round resistance work but also would guide and focus your workouts in general and overhaul what youre doing. Much betetr than that alli nonsense and all that jazz. I hope this doesnt sound harsh - it's not meant to! I can just sense your frustration! I never ever thought i'd want to or be able to lift weights but having worked with my pt for a little while now i love it and have seen amazing results (50lbs lost in a little over a year, start weight 1stone). I dunno if it's something you'd consider but i betcha it'd be worth it?

Lizzie xo

Runnergirl said...

As I hate exercise of any form, especially organised classes, running is the most efficient way for me to burn calories because you burn them at a faster rate than any other form.

I did get a PT a year or so ago, but I could only afford to see him once a month, and he failed to even write up any exercises for me to do and I couldn't remember any of them after our first session, so it was a bit of a waste of money and I only had a couple of sessions with him in the end. It's a shame as the 1st session was pretty good in terms of pushing me to go harder. We just don't seem to have the same calibre of PT's in the UK unless you pay the big bucks, and as I'm already paying £50 a month gym membership, I don't really want to pay the £30 per hour PT session on top of that!

Lizzie said...

I'm in the UK too - specifically Liverpool. Sucks that your pt experience wasn't good, mine has been amazing. Totally hear you about the cost!