Wednesday, July 28, 2010

I can.

I think the biggest lesson that I am learning from the Biggest Loser is to stop saying I can't. I may not have Jillian or Bob in the gym with me, but I'm certainly thinking of them when I'm starting to feel tired and thinking about stopping at 5k.

5k is not good enough, and I know that if I push myself, I can get just that little bit further.

Similarly, I try to think of a louder voice telling me it WILL matter if I eat something I shouldn't, to drown out my own inner voice that asks what's the point in depriving myself.

I would love to be able to afford a Fat Camp stay, but the fundamental fact of it is that people manage to lose weight ALL the time, without that level of support - they just manage to exert a little self discipline. There are stories of WW members who lost consistently every week, even if it wasn't much, they never had a week of gaining.

I looked back at my exercise and weight tracker from the beginning of this year. I have lost 5lb. That's all, and that's pretty rubbish. BUT, I haven't put on overall, which is the most important thing for me. I could so easily be a stone heavier than I am now.

However, we all know that that's not going to help in the long term, and if I want to get to a healthy weight, I need to pull myself up every day. I can have the odd treat, but not turn it into a day or a weekend or even a week of treats. That way madness lies.

Last night at the gym, I was so ready to run just 4.5k, but I told myself that wasn't acceptable and I knew I could do more.

I ended up doing 10.5k. Okay, so I need to do that twice more this week, and every week from now until the end of the year (excepting holidays) to hit my target. I have not consistently run 30k a week yet, but I have run a darn sight more than I did last year. (I'm loathe to point out that last year I was a stone lighter... and doing very little exercise!!!)

Anyway, it was a good run. I ache today after 2 long runs with only a day in between, but I know I can... and next time I'm tempted to quit, I won't because I know I CAN.

And that's the message I just need to keep reinforcing - through repetitive behaviour.

4 comments:

carla said...

YES.
you can and you DID (yesterday at the gym).
Im a little too mired in the 4 year old mindset these days but I find I do a lot of the I THINK I CAN I THINK I CAN (ala the little engine that could which we've read 484098 times) and it really really helps me get through my ... challenges.


MizFit

Lizzie said...

Fab attitude! you TOTALLY can!!!!
keep going keep going xx

Jess said...

That's amazing! You ran a 10.5K! Definitely proof that it's a mind over matter kind of deal.

This whole journey is a mental thing. The physical is tied with the mental.

You've got this! You can do it!

Runnergirl said...

Thanks for the words of encouragement guys - I'll try and hold on to that as I am going to do another 10k tonight - notice the determination there!!