Monday, July 12, 2010

Humiliation... and retail therapy

It's been a mixed week last week. At the start of the week, I was all determined to get to the gym at least 4 times, and watch what I was eating etc. Then it all got away from me and I'm not entirely sure how.

I had a meeting offsite with lunch included on the Tuesday, but I skipped lunch and had my own back at the office. But then I didn't go to the gym as I had loads to do that evening and an early start the next day. I baked brownies to take to our team meeting.

On Wednesday, we started early, flying to Newcastle first thing. I was shattered, and ate far too much over the space of two days - just pretty much constant eating of rubbish. We had meetings in the morning. The food provided was appalling - nasty sandwiches, flavourless soup and chips. So, of course, I filled up on chips (fries!).

In the afternoon we had a couple of team building activities, except they weren't really and our boss was more than a little annoyed, given the amount we had paid the agency. Anyway, that's when the humiliation started. The first activity was to sit astride a fat padded pole and bash your opponent with a padded cylinder. This would have been okay except apparently I have very short legs and I couldn't even get up on the damn thing without a running jump. And I couldn't reach to cross my legs under it for stability, so the first couple of times I'm off easily and fall hard.

The second time I'm up, I run for it to jump on... and split my trousers. Seriously, split all the way up the back. I tie my hoodie around my waste to preserve what little dignity I have left and then hide behind the tree trying not to cry in front of my team.

The second activity was driving this little buggy thing around a slalom course. Of course, the second time I do it, my trousers split a little more climbing into the damn thing, and I give up.

We go to the pub for a drink while we wait for the cab to our hotel. My boss finds me in the loo sobbing my heart out and buys me two little bottles of wine. I get through one and save the other for later.

I spend most of the evening trying to drown my sorrows - having cocktail after cocktail... except clearly there's no damn alcohol in the things and so I end up fairly sober, but having consumed god only knows how many calories in all the fruit juice they were mixed with.

On the plus side, I don't have a hangover in the morning, but that doesn't stop me eating my way through our morning meeting to keep myself awake.

We get to the airport and I have a sudden idea to check out the price on the camera I want to buy (Nikon D3000), it's £20 cheaper than anywhere else, so I decide to get it. I love it! I'm learning, but I am enjoying being able to be more creative than just point and click.

Anyway, our Saturday sailing plans with my dad are scuppered as Agnes has developed an abcess so we have to get her to the vets.

I spend most of the day in the garden, reading and topping up my tan. And the same on Sunday. Except I bite the bullet and decide that seeing as I now have my camera, I need the laptop to go with it, and get Hubby to order me a Dell in Cherry Red.

I did some of my Book Keeping coursework. I'm starting to get the hang of it and have done the first exercise at least - I need the laptop to transfer the questions and answers to Word so I can email them in.

I cooked a couple of really good healthy meals this weekend though - Quorn Tacos and BBQ Spatchcocked Chicken with home made bread and salad.

I have my blood test tomorrow and I will work from home - I have a tendency to faint when pricked with needles so I didn't want to risk driving after.

I have lots of work to get done this week, but not many meetings so it should be quite a productive one.

Gym tonight, Wednesday, team day and rowing on Thursday, gym Friday and then another quiet weekend to follow.

I'm tired. Really tired. Of everything at the moment. Work, gym, watching my food (or feeling guilty about not watching it). Tired.

1 comment:

kathryn said...

Wow. It SOUNDS exhausting. Good that you can take a day and work from home, though.

And the camera sounds great! Does that mean we'll be seeing some photos as you work with it?

I hope so. Sorry your business trip was such a bust. At least the liquor should have been good...