Wednesday, July 14, 2010

What's it going to take?

I am wondering now, seriously wondering.

I mean:
  • My clothes are all tight
  • I have 4 brand new suits in my wardrobe that I can't fit into but want to
  • I haven't lost any weight this year (I would say despite my best efforts, but that would be a LIE)
  • I've spent a fortune on therapy and gym membership and personal trainer time and nutritionists
  • I've got a holiday coming up where I want to look good in photos
  • If we do decide to have kids then I do NOT want to be overweight and pregnant

But seriously, what is it going to take for me to actually start doing what I need to do to lose weight? I just don't know anymore.

I've been trying to do this for so long, and do it the right way rather than following faddy diets. I know what I need to do as well, but I just can't seem to motivate myself to stick to it. Probably because I've failed for so long that I've lost any shred of belief that I can do it - even if others tell me I can.

This has to come from me. But a lifetime or even a year of what I need to do depresses the hell out of me and I'm not sure it's worth it. But I know it is because of all the reasons above, yet I can't seem to make that connection in my mind.

I need to:

  • Watch what I eat EVERY DAY, not just weekdays and ignore weekends
  • Exercise at least 3 times a week, if not lots more, and make sure I am racking up the kms in running, but also doing some weights etc. to build some muscle as this burns calories at a higher rate
  • Not bake for anyone because the temptation is far too great
  • Not have any meals out, or if I do, make sensible food choices and cut out alcohol completely

Written like that, I know exactly why I don't want to do it - a large part of my life revolves around eating. It's the one thing that I really enjoy doing - eating out, baking, entertaining friends etc. And if I can't do that, life would be a pretty bleak place.

I don't know what the answer is. I wish there was one, but I don't think there is. I need to get myself believing that the sacrifices are worth it, and that I have other pleasures in live that don't revolve around food.

3 comments:

nikki said...

"Probably because I've failed for so long that I've lost any shred of belief that I can do it - even if others tell me I can."

This sentence struck a chord with me...this is exactly how I feel!

I don't think there is an easy answer only a hard one... we just have to do it to get to where we want to be. Make the sacrifices, make good choices but most importantly maybe...never give up. :)

SeattleRunnerGirl said...

I think your last line answered the question. If food is your only pleasure in life, you need to fix that! Find things you enjoy doing and make THEM the source of your enjoyment every day. Spend time with friends (not eating all the time), read books you love, take up a hobby, go hiking - whatever activities you enjoy. Do them often and remind yourself that THOSE are the things in life that are supposed to make you happy. Not *just* food.

Good luck!

Runnergirl said...

I do enjoy doing those things but it's hard finding the time to do them whereas food is a daily pleasure. We don't have any friends locally and so seeing them becomes an event and always based around food. It's tricky when you only have so long to spend with them, and if they're not into hiking etc, then a meal/evening out is the easiest way to catch up.