Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Weeeeee!

So. Big weekend.

Weekend at the in-laws when I always transform into a glutton. Not so this weekend. I filled up on salads, I had a few treats, but I didn't co crazy, and as a result I hadn't put on 4lb by Monday morning. So that was good.

I also went out for a long long run - 9 miles, 14.5km - but it was S-L-O-W and took me an hour and 45 minutes where usually I would expect to do that in an hour and a half, but the last 3 miles nearly killed me, and is the longest distance I have run in a long time. Pleased I did it, although my legs are still slightly stiff.

So, that was the highs... and then the rollercoaster dipped.

A few months ago I was talking about the difficulties I was having with my new boss - how she was pushing me out of my comfort zone and I was fighting her every step of the way. But then actually, I started to gain confidence and realise that she had trusted me with projects because she believed I could do them. And I have done, so far. They're not quite delivered and done and dusted, but I've really performed better than I thought I could.

Yesterday, just before my half year appraisal, she took our team to one side and dropped a bombshell. She was leaving. And not in 3 months time, but today (or rather yesterday). Because she was going to a competitor (indirectly), and she had been working on some fairly heavy weight projects here, they decided that it was best she leave immediately.

I feel all bereft. And I am scared stiff that I won't be able to finish these projects without her guidance and support. I am pleased for her, because she was only covering maternity leave and the company were making it blatantly obvious that there wouldn't be a Controller level role in this team for her, so she kind of had to jump before she was pushed into a role she didn't want to do, so I don't blame her at all.

We had no warning. No idea that this would happen.

Her boss is now having discussions with our former boss to see if she can come back from Maternity leave early. In the meantime, I've been invited to temporarily move back into the Insights team so that I have managerial support.

It's all a big shake up and I'm not sure where this is going to leave us really.

In other news, Hubby and I are definitely going to have children - he was actually getting really excited about it all and has been (prematurely) looking up buggies and asking his forum mates questions. However, he is determined that we are okay financially, and so wants to wait until Christmas before we start trying so that we can ensure our USA trip is fully paid up. We also have plans to save all of my salary every month and try and survive on just his.

Personally I can't help thinking that if we've decided to do this, we might as well start trying as soon as we get back from holiday, because we just don't know how long it might take. And I am going to be 34 in a few weeks' and I am very very conscious of the fact that there are all sorts of added health risks over the age of 35 and he definitely wants 2, but 2 years apart.

I am also still terrified of the whole well, actual birth thing. I hate doctors, and I hate things like smear tests, but somehow I'm going to have to get over that and try and relax, because apparently, the more relaxed you are, the easier it all is.

Anyway, there are big changes afoot, and I'm feeling a little swept along by the tide at the moment and I don't really like it. But I am not going to turn to food for comfort.

I watched the Biggest Loser last night - that Tracey is a piece of work. She didn't even NEED the two pound advantage, or to control the game as she lost 11lb anyway. And poor Coach Mo - talk about being dragged into things.

3 comments:

hannahbanana said...

wow! Really exciting to hear your news re children - you won't regret it. Life is never quite the same again, but its SO much better!!

SeattleRunnerGirl said...

Wow, lots going on for you at the mo! Congratulations on a successful weekend at your in-laws. Good luck at work, and YIPPEE on having kids!

kathryn said...

Well, I won't watch The Biggest Loser, but I'm damn proud of YOU, girl! I think you need to put a positive spin on your boss leaving...as sad as you are, she's been a mentor for you...and I think she's changed you for the better. Don't lose ground 'cause of that.

And having little ones? Baby steps, sweetie. (Pun intended) I believe the average is 6mos-1 yr to conceive? I may be wrong. Google it!