Friday, March 5, 2010

Looking forward...

First a review of yesterday. It was a pretty crappy day, but ended well.

I weighed in half a pound lighter - although I kinda cheated by skipping lunch and barely drinking anything all day. That said, I have learnt my lesson and I am going to be golden this week - I'm going to fit in 3 good runs and try and increase my distance, and more importantly I am NOT going to gorge on chocolate. Plus, the weekend? Well, I've got the Dave Matthews Band gig, and I'm meeting my sister, but we'll probably go for sushi or something healthyish. Rest of the weekend I will allow myself a few treats, but not go overboard. I'm aiming for a 2lb weight loss this week, chaps. Focus.

After weigh in, Hubby and I headed off to one of our local pubs. We've been in our home for 5 years nearly and we have never gone into any of the pubs in the heart of the village. One of them, that was notoriously a dive, was refurbished a few years ago, and we discovered does a pub quiz night every first and third Thursday in the month. So, perfect for a post weigh in date night.

We had some dinner (typical pub food, nothing special, and we were the only ones eating!) and some of the local ice cream (which is seriously the BEST ice cream ever... apart from Italian Gelati). And then we joined in the pub quiz. We were bad, the worst, but the scores were tight at the top, so we might do better next time.

Lessons to be learnt though - we were sat around a corner from everyone else - so, not a good way to meet some other locals. Both of us had slightly dicky tummies this morning - so we'll probably just have ice cream next time we go.

But, it was a lot of fun, and we're both really glad we went. We talked a bit as well. Hubby is worried that if we did get a dog (one day...) then it wouldn't be enough and within a short while I'd be looking for the next adventure. To be fair to me though, all I've ever wanted is a dog, and also, for someone who is used to moving house a lot, I have managed to stay for nearly 5 years in the same house without getting really bored. Yes, I'd like to move, but not just for the sake of it.

I've also decided to do something a bit radical (for me). I hate going to doctor's. If I can at all avoid it, I will. I put off having smear tests until they start sending me threatening letters. But, my weight loss kind of stalls around the 12st mark, and I can't help thinking that my contraceptive pill might be a contributory factor to that.

Also, given that we are 99% sure that we won't be planning children anytime soon, it makes sense to investigate alternatives. I've been looking into this, and am going to try to book an appointment to have something more convenience "installed"!!!

I'm terrified, but I think that, in the long run, if this works, and gives me a better shot at getting to my goal weight, then it's something I should do. Squeamishness aside. I'm getting heart palpitations even writing about it, but I think it's the right thing to do.

Apparently they can give you a local anasthetic for it, so I'll be doing that!

Anyhoo - hope I haven't shared too much... but it's a serious issue for a girl in her 30's, and any advice/recommendations gratefully received!

My other task for the day is to ring the builder we've used a couple of times and get him to come over and give us a quote for unblocking our fireplace.

3 comments:

Sarahf said...

Hiya. I love pub quizzes, even though I'm rubbish, they make a night in the pub so much more fun. I love joining in the one on Chris Moyles' show (I can listen on the internet). Sounds like you and hubby had a chance to talk too. Good times.
Here they call it the pill the OC, which always makes me think of the TV drama and makes me smirk inappropriately at the doctor. At least you know that won't happen with your doctor. Or maybe it will now... heh heh heh

kathryn said...

So...did you GO to the doctor? Or,just researched online? There must be something in the middle!

Runnergirl said...

I researched online a lot - lots of good review pages from patients, but also the facts from lots of health help websites as well.