Thursday, October 29, 2009

Damage is done

So - tonight is official weigh in, but according to my scales at home, the damage of the weekend has been 3lb on.

This is the thing that frustrates me the most about weight loss and my body. I can watch what I eat endlessly for month, do lots of exercise, but spend any time off the regime and the weight just goes straight back on so easily.

Yes, I did eat more at the weekend than I would normally, but we were also walking for hours on end, and most of what we did eat was vegetables, some pasta, a tiny bit of cheese and meat - I suspect it is the ice cream and wine that did the damage.

So, I'm back to where I was a month ago. And not far off where I started the year.

It's hard not to get disappointed, angry with myself, resentful that I can't seem to enjoy meals out without paying a big penalty, and just frustrated at the lack of progress.

I get envious of all the people you hear saying that they just started eating healthily and the weight dropped off. The weight has never just "dropped off" for me without a lot of hard work, self examination and angst.

I've always been a pretty healthy eater, apart from when I was at uni and cooking on a budget. Sausages, baked potato, cabbage and mayonnaise featured pretty heavily on my menu.

When I first joined WW all those many years ago, the weight did come off relatively easily, but I was going to the gym 5 times a week for a couple of hours at a time.

Last year and the year before that I was running 20-30 miles a week, but not really losing any weight.

I've paid out hundreds on hypnoanalysis (with no conclusion, there is no psychological reason for my over eating), CBT (I became too self involved, and didn't like it), nutritionist and personal trainers (neither of which would give me a diet and exercise plan to work to...)... and as I've said before, fundamentally the reason I over eat is because I enjoy food, and I'm greedy with no will power.

Now, I know that in Rome, I should have made sensible food choices, salads, no cheese, no dressings, no ice cream or wine and lots of walking; but where's the fun in that? How can I enjoy nice meals out with Hubby if I feel that I'm missing out, and just suck the fun out of the whole thing.

And so I pay the price. I know how to get the balance, I know how to maintain my weight - unfortunately I appear to be maintaining it approximately 3 stone heavier from what I should be.

I don't believe in faddy diets, and I don't believe in quick fixes, but part of me wishes I had the discipline to do something like Lighter Life to just dump the weight and then maintain when I get to goal.

However - I've seen 4 people do LL now, and all 4 of them have put the weight back on and more since they went back to "normal" eating.

Sorry - this is a bit rambly. I'm just frustrated, and while I know the answer is discipline and not giving in to temptation, I also want to enjoy my life. And I'm at that frustrating weight where I am fit and healthy so my weight doesn't hamper my lifestyle, but I am 3 stone heavier than I would like to be, and about 2 dress sizes too big.

Oh well. Back to it this week - I may not reach my goal in time for Christmas, but I'm not going to give up now.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am totally understanding you. I was always very thin. I had 2 children pretty close together and now I can not drop the weight. I have tried many things. I did loose 26 Lbs a year or so ago but as you said as soon as I went back to regular eatting it came right back. I do not over eat. I don't snack, I drink plenty of water. Very frustrating.

Karen said...

I always get the weekend gain too. But, there's no way you ate over 10,000 extra calories (the amount you'd need to eat to gain 3 lbs.) I try to keep this in mind when I see gains. I'm usually not as strict with myself on the weekends and I eat saltier foods and drink less water, etc. I think it just makes you retain water or something. Maybe I should start skipping the Monday morning weigh-in... Anyway, don't get too discouraged. You're doing great :)

kathryn said...

I'm glad you ended your post by saying "I'm not going to give up now." We're always so hard on ourselves! Think about it...had you lost, you would have said, "Ok. Now, just ?? more to go." There's always more.

I thought 2 things:
1) I still believe that muscle weighs more than fat, so you need to go by how your clothes fit.
2) You need to keep mixing it up...your body adjusts to any change in eating. I'd stopped eating my big meals at dinner and have them at lunch, for years now. Well, what do you suppose happens when I eat a big meal at the end of the day?? I GAIN. Big-time...my body's figured it out.

Runnergirl said...

Thanks for the comments girls. Unfortunately it wasn't a Monday morning weigh in - and my official WW class confirmed it - a 3lb gain for the week.

I haven't lost anything measurement wise either, mainly because I've been doing hardly any exercise recently.

I won't give up though - and I have just got to make better food choices when I am out for meals.