I've been reading Skinny Me's blog for a while now.
Everyone has their own way to lose weight, but for me, how she does it is how I SHOULD be doing it, but seem to have lost the energy. She basically makes the point that when she tracks, and works out she loses weight.
This is how it is for me too. So how did I get into this habit of having 3 days a week "off" and only following the plan for 4 days a week?
When I first joined WW 11 years ago, I was at uni, and living at my parents'. I would effectively get up and get to uni for 9:00 and whenever I wasn't in lectures or studying in the library, I would be in the gym.
That's how I started this bad habit of being good for 5 days out of 7, but would have a social life on the weekend. And it did work - I was doing so much exercise that I could "cheat" and it wouldn't have a huge impact. I wasn't really following the WW plan so much as following the principles.
I would arrive on campus and head for the minimart and purchase 2 cheese scones (they came in a pack of 2). I would have one for breakfast, and one for lunch. At home in the evening, I would have meat and veg for dinner. I was within points, and eating plenty of vegetables, and I lost 3 stone in about 3 months.
Roll forward 11 years and I have very healthy habits for most of the week - much healthier breakfast (large bowl of porridge, no sugar, made with skimmed milk) and a much healthier lunch (vegetables, multigrain tortilla wrap spread with low fat cheese triangles). Dinner is also usually ultra healthy (quorn/chicken/low fat sausages with vegetables and brown rice/couscous/egg noodles).
I've picked up some handy tips over the years, and I have my favourite products (although 2 of these now appear to have been delisted in the supermarkets so I'm not happy).
I am running at least 20km a week at the moment, although only twice a week. And this means that the excesses of the weekend don't ruin everything I do during the week, but it does slow my weight loss to about 0.5lb a week.
What I can't figure out is how to be firmer with myself on weekends - however well organised I am, if out for a meal I cave to temptation. If at home, I snack on toast and marmite.
There isn't really a structure to this post. Just that I know I need to do better, but I can't seem to get myself into the right frame of mind to commit to the programme and therefore lose the 1-2lb a week I would like to.
I remember how good I felt the first time I tried on a size 12 and it kind of fit. I just can't hold on to that feeling when faced with the choice of Sticky Toffee Pudding or watching other people enjoy dessert. So much of my life's enjoyment comes from eating and I couldn't bear to part with that!
Anyway, I know I have to do better. I have no social engagements this weekend really, so will try to have at least 6 good days next week. In the meantime, I need to up my running to compensate.
In other news, we have meetings set up with a storage/logistics company and a shipping agent to talk about importing stuff for our new business. All very exciting. Oh, and our new business cards should arrive today.
4 comments:
I am no longer tracking because it makes me mental.
However, I am writing down everything i eat. No points attached, no calories counted.
Perhaps that is a way to start.
I am no longer tracking because it makes me mental.
However, I am writing down everything i eat. No points attached, no calories counted.
Perhaps that is a way to start.
That might work as I do tend to keep a mental tally during the week, but at weekends I just don't bother.. and end up eating significantly more than I would on a weekday. I think the other solution is to just stop eating out!
Well, you know that I struggle with this in a serious way. It's all a matter of mindset and willpower. Once you see you're doing well, though... it sometimes has its disadvantages, and makes you loosier goosier.
I'll be on the hunt for life balance + motivation right there with you.
~Jenn
Post a Comment