So. Yesterday. Given shiny new work laptop. With new versions of Microsoft Office. ARGH!
Excel seems soooo much harder now - there are reams of buttons that I don't use or understand.
The key buttons that I used to use are put in this incredibly awkward format, like Freeze Panes and Paste Special Values and Format.
And worst of all - I used to be able to copy data from my database software and Paste Special Values straight into Excel, but now it won't let me... so I have to paste it all into a new workbook and then copy it again.
Also - the Tools menu has disappeared altogether and it took me 10 minutes to figure out how to do the equivalent of the old Tools - Options - Show/Hide Sheet Tabs! The Help menu was useless because it kept telling me how to unhide the sheets themselves (when they weren't hidden), and how to change it if the sheet tabs were hidden because of a document issue.
Soooo frustrating!
Other frustrations - our company has come up with a series of "Transformational Objectives" to drive our long term growth through to 2014. Except now we keep getting pulled into meetings and work on those and are not able to do our day jobs. My boss' solution is to bring in temporary resource to support me by doing the data analysis, reporting and presentations that I'm asked for on an ad hoc basis... she just doesn't hear me when I tell her that those are the bits I WANT to do.
I don't want to spend all my days in meetings generating yet more work I'm not going to have time to do. Yesterday afternoon for example, it transpired that I would have 3 major project deadlines all at the end of May. Luckily she's moved one of them til the beginning of July now, but I just can't do it all.
Especially when I don't actually know really what I'm supposed to be doing - she has very clear ideas of what the output should look like, so I'm so tempted to just tell her to do it herself... but it's on my objectives.
This is not the right company for me anymore. As I said yesterday, I want to work somewhere where I can get on and do the stuff I am good at. I don't really want to be dragged kicking and screaming out of my comfort zone.
I am panicking and stressed and on the verge of tears... and I've only been back in the office for 3 and a bit days.
What's wrong with being in your comfort zone? I've worked hard to develop it and become an expert in my field. Why do I need to be exceptional and thought leading? What's wrong with being me?
I hate this. And I hate Excel.
1 comment:
Oh, honey! I'm sorry it's already so stressful being back at work. It does sound like you might be needing to investigate other possible options for work...especially if you feel your boss seriously wants you to go in a completely opposite direction than you'd like...
Post a Comment