Wednesday, April 28, 2010

How is it only Wednesday?!

It's a fact of life that days on holiday always go faster than those at work. Same as weekends going faster than weekdays.

I'm sure it should be Friday already, but it's not. It's Wednesday and Wednesday means an all day meeting with a half hour break for lunch. Whoot.

Yesterday was interesting. At about 3:00 the power went out. The generators kicked in and fired up the lights, but the little aircon we had working anyway (it's not been at full power for the past few days) cut out completely, as did our screens.

Cue much undocking of laptops and wireless connection to the networks, and somewhat of an exodus from some people. The whole of the town was knocked out apparently, so I have visions of "yoofs" taking advantage of the lack of security and looting stores. This probably didn't happen as everything seemed pretty normal when I left.

The worst thing for me was the fact that I had taken my shoes off as it was so warm and they were hurting me anyway... and then with the heat, my feet swelled up to the extent that I couldn't get them back on! By the time I went home the office had cooled slightly, but walking to the car park was the most excrutiating thing I have ever known.

Getting home, I decided to tackle the garden. I had weeds to dig, dead plants from the hard winter to remove, and seeds to sow (not sure what possessed me to buy 4 packs of Sweet Pea seeds though!). Unfortunately another foot predicament (after the nettle stinging)... every time I stepped on the fork to dig, I got cramp in both feet. Ow ow ow.

On a completely different note, I am considering going to the docs and getting myself a prescription of Orlistat to try and help speed up my weight loss. I also have a feeling that the threat of nasty side effects will force me to stick to the diet plan at weekends as well.

I am torn though, because I've always said that it's about eating less and moving more, and we shouldn't have to resort to medication... but if it helps kick start me then maybe I need to consider it. The other hesitation I have is that apparently it prevents absorption of 30% dietary fat - but I don't actually eat a lot of fat anyway, so I'm not sure what the benefit will be, but maybe it's worth paying the cost for a month, just to see.

No comments: