Wednesday, December 29, 2010

A little rant...

So, Christmas - fab at in-laws apart from a few things... so good will to all men and all that aside...

  1. What a waste of day the 28th was! We were invited over to Sister-in-law's place and basically sat there for 3 hours doing nothing. There was no conversation because the tv was on in the background. There were no games. Nothing. We just sat there, feeling awkward and wondering why we had been invited around. Both of us were wishing we had stayed at parents-in-law and played games and relaxed as usual. This morning when we left, mother-in-law was upset that we hadn't had enough time to play games and spend time together - because, in the few days that we were up there, Hubby's sister's family took over for 2 days. Oh well.
  2. We were driving home this avo, after a good visit to my best friend's in Brum, and I got an email from my mum. New Year's Eve and Christmas has never been hugely fun at my parents'. My mum has a habit of inviting any waifs and strays without really consulting the rest of us. We had invited ourselves to my parents' for New Year's Eve as it will probably be their last in our family home. Hubby and I were looking forward to a relaxing, games playing evening; except the email from my mum tells us that she has invited a couple of teachers from the school where she has just retired, who are at a loose end. So instead of a relaxing evening, we have to make small talk with complete strangers. The frustrating thing is that I know my dad is probably fuming about this too -the last thing he wants is to be hosting an impromptu gathering - he probably wants to relax and not have to entertain either. Hubby and I are both soooo frustrated and annoyed and would far rather have the evening to ourselves at home than spend it there now. I know that seems incredibly selfish, but my mother always seems to put other people first over her family. She always talks more about her "kids" at school who she teaches over and above us. She also seems to put them and her colleagues' needs over and above my father's (hence her retiring 2 years after he has!). Anyway, nothing we can do, but needless to say, I don't think it's quite the evening that Hubby and I were hoping for.
  3. Biggest grr and I am livid. My beautiful, gorgeous cousin who we joke is like my twin, had her heart broken again today by her completely useless fuck up of a husband. He has cheated on her twice that she knows of in their 10 years of marriage. Each time I try and support her decision to stay with him, and each email she sends me full of tears about how selfish he is, and how little attention he pays to her etc. etc. I try and cheer her up... but today I got a message that her shit of a husband has apparently been receiving love letters (she found one in the garage) from some slut who he has probably been carrying on with for months. She has finally thrown him out. I am hoping she can draw a line and move on, and I am hoping that she doesn't relent again. He doesn't deserve her, and if she wasn't so far away, I would go over there and give him a piece of my mind. I just wish I could afford to fly her and her little boy over here from Oz for a good break from it all and some well deserved R&R.
  4. Last grr... and possibly a yay, but who knows! TMI warning! I was due on today. I haven't come on. It's too early to get our hopes up, but tomorrow I shall be taking a very important test. The frustrating thing is that even after that, if it is what we want it to be, I can't even tell ANYONE for a few weeks just in case! Grr.

HAPPY NEW YEAR everyone!

2 comments:

kathryn said...

Well. A little good and some serious bad. Sounds like parents-in-law are sooo nice....too bad SIL and her fam are such bores.

As for going to your parent's and mixing w/ppl you don't know, why don't you email back and announce you've got to cut the visit short? Compromise it out and say you've got to be somewhere else...and since she's got a full house anyway... Just a thought. Or go, play sick and leave early.

As for your cousin...that really sucks. All you can do is support whatever decision she makes and hope for the best. Men can be such dawgs....but then, so can women!

Happy New Year to you and yours, sweetie!

Runnergirl said...

As it turns out, I wasn't feeling well, but we had a good visit anyway. I went shopping with my mum which never happens, and no one else turned up during the evening so we had a nice dinner and played Hubby's new board game.