And so I am taking the risk and posting from work. My reasons for this are twofold – I’ve actually ticked most things off my To Do list and so it’s pretty quiet, and the second is that I can only conclude that you have to really abuse the internet access before they shut you down!
So, what’s new?
Nothing with me really. My chances of completing my running challenge are gradually slipping away. I missed a run last week because I had to work late, and then yesterday I could only manage 11k, so I have 17k to make up on top of the 145k left to run before the end of the year. I’ve been through my diary and worked out where I can squeeze runs in between the Christmas parties and birthday catering, and the most I can get to is 991k. And if I fall ill with the cold going around, then I’m pretty much done.
We have had some snow this morning – it’s been like living in two different countries here though. My team mate Simon is based in the North, and he’s had thick thick snow while we have had nothing.
This morning it is snowing, but it’s not really settling on the roads enough to warrant staying at home. Which is a shame because I don’t mind being snowed in when I don’t have work things to do and stress about. Like today.
We have finally got the house (mainly) back in order. The sitting room has been decorated and the new Virgin cable fitted, so everything is back in its place. Apart from the new radiator which is in the sitting room, but not yet plumbed in. I am hoping to get that sorted this week. Meanwhile we have had a few fires in the new fireplace which have been lovely! We need somewhere to store a wood supply though – currently being stored in a cardboard box by the back door!
We also sent our old tv away with one of my friends at the weekend – on a long term loan until we have space for 2 tv’s! So now we have a space for a Christmas tree – job for Sunday.
While this week is quiet with work, home and social life is all go. Tonight I have a dinner with one of our agencies (yawn!). I really don’t want to go, but haven’t figured out a plausible excuse yet. Tomorrow will be a run at the gym. Thursday I have to bake enough cupcakes for 40 people before I head out to yoga. On Friday, I need to go for a run and then head home and ice the cupcakes. I’ve realized that I’m not actually sure when I’m going to be able to go shopping for ingredients though.
On Saturday we have a 60th birthday party for my aunt and uncle (twins), which for some reason, my sister is organizing (as self designated new head of the grandchildren – the eldest is an ex-pat in Hong Kong). She has put me in charge of baking the birthday cake (or cupcakes), and also decorations. Apparently, that can be my present to the aunt and uncle (who I have never before bought presents or even sent a card to, but there you go). So I need to go and find decorations. I have no idea what the venue is like and whether or not we’ll actually be able to decorate it, but somehow I’ve been put in charge of that. Rest assured none of the other grandchildren, and god forbid, their own children, are actually doing anything. Apart from a surprise visit from Ireland by my uncle’s son (who couldn’t be bothered to come over for his father’s wedding…).
It’s ridiculous really because my sister seems to be trying to single handedly keep a family together who aren’t actually that bothered about being kept together. I only ever see my cousins at these affairs that she organizes, and usually we end up missing them because of prior commitments. I have nothing in common with my cousins, and one lot of them we don’t actually speak to really other than a vague nodded hello in their direction. There’s only so much small talk you can make really. My sister does have more of a relationship with them – she invites the cousins with children to their house or they meet up so the kids can all play together. I’m not that fussed, to be honest.
Anyway, that’s how Saturday shall be spent. My reward is putting up the tree and decorations on the Sunday!
And then it’s really into the busy weeks – team meetings and nights out, lots of weekend plans (including a trip to the Christmas markets at Reims in France). No New York trip this year, sadly, but maybe next year.
And now I shall go and try and catch up on everyone else’s blogs…
1 comment:
Wow. I completely and totally hear you on the family responsibilities. I have a sister just like yours and you sound just like me!
I think that all in all, it's better to be like us and not stress things so much. I'll sometimes feel guilty for not being more like my sister, but it passes.
Post a Comment