Tuesday, September 28, 2010

A Quick Review without pics...

Could go on and on and on about what an amazing holiday it was, but instead I'm going to restrain myself to the daily highlights!

Firstly though, Ghiradelli chocolates that I ate yesterday aside - 12st9lb this morning, so only a 2lb gain! Whoot!!

Right:

  • Denver: We arrived slap bang at Taste of Colorado time - cue consumption of Corn Dogs and Butter Dipped Roasted Corn. Can you say YUM!? Highlight was definitely a meal out at Mizuna where we had Ostrich, and also exploring the city - especially the area around Larimer at nightime. Oh. And the Tattered Cover Bookstore.
  • Aspen: Took the scenic route through Independence Pass (12,000feet!). Quaint town, pretty deserted and very expensive shops. 12miles of walking up to and around Maroon Bells area. Totally deserved our dinner at Zocalito's, although the Margeritas were on the weak side. Just beautiful countryside!
  • Moab: Loved the whole vibe of the town, but the Arches and Island in the Sky ROCKED. Amazing geography. Stunning blue skies. Breathtaking walks up rock surfaces in quite precarious places. Moab Brewery great for sit down dinner, but Paradox Pizza fab for takeway to eat in hotel room. 2 days of lots of walking, lots of photos and very dirty feet.
  • Durango: In awe of the cliff dwellings at Mesa Verde en route. Definitely our favourite town. Felt totally at home. The Country Sunshine B&B was awesome and the steam train up to Silverton was fantastic. Topped off with a fab dinner at Mutu (we ate a lot of Italian!). Seriously considering Durango as a retirement destination now.
  • Grand Canyon: Breathtaking. Walked along the 7mile South Rim trail. Wish we'd had time (and been fit enough!) to walk the Bright Angel Trail though. Tuyasan overpriced and mediocre in terms of everything. Will stay in Park next time. Highlight was seeing a family of Elk crossing the road.
  • Las Vegas: won $113 on a 5c machine, so ended up even stevens. Lunchtime buffet was incredible, but too rich and we were both ill! Wynn 60th floor room was just AMAZING! Such great views and luxurious room. Loved Vegas. Especially Fremont Street area and our BEST DINNER EVER at Vic & Anthony's. Just wish we'd had longer to take full advantage of hotel facilities. Did the day plane/copter/boat trip to Grand Canyon. Was great, but only goes to West Rim, so you don't get the same sense of enormity - would next time do copter trip from Grand Canyon itself.
  • Independence/Death Valley: Just incredible. Amazing scenery and stifling heat. Very mucky feet. We arrived at Independence in time for their Potluck Picnic with music next door to Ray's Den Motel - and received a hearty welcome even though we didn't have a contribution. Had some lovely home cooked food and great company - lovely people and lovely town.
  • Yosemite: Just amazing. Clouds Rest Cabin was in the park and great location to drive to through Tuluomne Meadows, and then use as a base for the Valley and Mariposa. Climbed top of Vernal Falls. Saw tiny people climbing up El Cap. Walked miles in Sequoia Grove. Very very dusty feet. Cooked at our cabin (more of a house than a cabin really!). Would have liked more time, and would have liked to have been fitter. Definitely visit early Summer next time to see the waterfalls in full glory.
  • San Fransisco: A perfect end to an incredible holiday. We stayed in Union Street, a really nice road of restaurants and boutiques and close to the buzzy Chestnut Street for evenings. We walked miles, cycled over the Golden Gate Bridge, and rode the historic trolley on the Powell/Mason track. Lots of very steep hills were walked up (more than down!!) and we found the best Malt Shakes (Svensens). Just a shame that we had to come home.

So, I am still suffering with the Jet Lag - awake this morning at 4 a.m. and couldn't get back to sleep until just before the alarm went off. Hoping I can do some extra sleeping this weekend.

Will post some piccies when I've sorted through them all, but just wow! What a holiday. I have come back determined to get fitter and healthier though, as although I felt proud of the walks we did do, I felt sad about the walks we couldn't do.

In other news: so begins the baby plans. I have to go and buy folic acid tablets today. I haven't got a clue. I am going to investigate a yoga or pilates class to try and loosen myself up. It's all a bit terrifying and I don't really have any close friends to talk to because I don't really want to make it general knowledge that we've decided to have kids.

3 comments:

carla said...

such a great post and yet Im stuck to the end.

**whispers*** YAY!!!! WHOOOO TO THE HOOO KIDS.ROCK.

:)

MizFit

hannahbanana said...

want any tips let me know!

kathryn said...

YAY! I'm glad you're sharing it with us, sweetie! You are gonna be an incredible mom!