Tuesday, September 29, 2009

A change is as good as a rest?

I realised this morning that I have now been working a full time job for 10 years. Not the same one thankfully, but I haven't really ever had a break.

I went from boarding school to a summer job to university (working alongside study and during holidays) to full time employment.

Everyone I know seems to have had a gap year or two - whether between school and uni, or uni and a job, or even had time out during their working life.

One of my best friends is about to have 3 months off, seeing some of Asia for 8 weeks, and just taking a well deserved rest. Admittedly her job is more demanding than mine, and more high profile and responsible, but I kind of feel like I need a bit of a break too.

A few years ago, I did investigate taking some time out - I'd always wanted to take a year and spend it travelling around the States, seeing absolutely everything, but with a mortgage, cats and a husband, and not much in the way of savings, we decided it might be best to just travel for our precious 25 days holiday a year, and leave the career break until retirement.

Now, 10 years into my working life, I'm not so sure that sometimes we don't just need a break. 2 weeks over the Summer doesn't really seem enough. Next year we're planning 3 weeks in the Autumn/Fall, but it still doesn't seem enough.

I have to admit to being tired (see my earlier post) of doing the same daily/weekly routine. I was talking to my dad about it last night, and he just said "That's life", and I guess it is, but you know what, I don't know if I can keep doing this for the next 30 years.

Which is, I guess, why we're going to try and set up our own business and change things. And it can't come soon enough for me.

But there are times when I wish I had no ties, no responsibility, and could just act on my dream to ride off into the sunset with my husband and never come back.

2 comments:

mainecrashed2 said...

There's nothing wrong with eliminating your responsibilities (responsibly), and doing things you love and dream of. If you choose to have kids, it definitely puts that on hold for at least 18 years. My sister packed all her stuff, put it in storage (after all her bills were paid(car, student loans)) and spent the past year travelling to the west coast, coming back, and hiking the AT. She was a teacher, and just turned 30 this year.

Runnergirl said...

I think it's more knowing what we would do with the cats (our girls). Not sure I could leave them with someone else for an extended period of time.. we'd miss them too much. Shame we can't take them with us really.

We reckon that getting our business venture up and running will help sort out the restlessness.

I am a product of a diplomatic lifestyle though - so used to moving every 3/4 years, this is the longest I've stayed in one place, and the longest I've stayed in one job!!